The University’s original cactus garden (located in front of Old Main from 1896 to 1929) was begun by Professor James W. Toumey, the Botanist for the Agricultural Experiment Station, in the fall of 1891 on grounds just north of the Pump and Engine House, where he began establishing varieties of native cactus. The garden was moved in 1896 to the area shown here. A soil cover of about twelve inches over a base of solid caliche, it soon developed into a garden of over 600 species, an interesting contrast to the surrounding lawns, shrubs, and trees. Professor Toumey was one of the University’s six original faculty members. reference number: azu_azswp_gardens_cactusgarden_fl1_a
Students posing in the University of Arizona Cactus Garden.
Item Number: cactusgarden.fl1.a; N-2431
Credit: © Special Collections, The University of Arizona Libraries, University of Arizona Photograph Collection